As a knitting teacher, I’m just about the worst example ever set. I DID follow my own advice and make a gauge swatch. I got 6 stitches instead of 5.5 to the inch, not such a big deal, but I totally failed to think all the way through how that would impact my finished project. I knitted the first sleeve to 8 inches long before I thought to measure it against my boy. Lo and behold, it would not go around his little hand. I had to rip it out and start over!!
But, here are the finished pieces, pinned and blocked. That feels good. They’ve been held up to a squirmy little guy and it appears the cardigan will indeed fit. (You’ll forgive my stained ironing board…no matter how careful I am, it always looks like I’ve been eating ham sandwiches while doing my domestic chores.)
I made another not-so-obvious mistake in the sleeves, which I chose to forgive and forget. I am including side-by-side photos of the sleeves and will send a prize to the reader who spots the mistake and writes me a comment that doesn’t hurt my feelings horribly.
Today I brought the sleeves with me on the bus and managed to seam one completely. The commute back should produce a second sleeve. Home stretch here. I’m still accepting good luck wishes on the setting in of sleeves and the sewing in of zipper!
8/12/08 Update: An observant reader (Allysha) saw an error I hadn’t noticed, and upon closer inspection, I saw yet another!! I’m NOT redoing that green sleeve. No Way.